Friday, September 01, 2006

Attack on the Word of God

The following attack on the Word of God is brought to you from the lips of Robert Schuller:

"Just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean you should preach it."

I heard these words on a CD from the White Horse Inn. Michael Horton had interviewed him for the White Horse Inn radio broadcast (click here to read highlights from that interview), and they included the clip from this interview on the highlights/promo CD that WHI produced. I was literally shocked to hear Robert Schuller say these words...

How sad that he would seek to suppress the truth of the Word of God. Even though I'm saddened by such remarks, I have to examine my own life. How often do I not address the whole counsel of the Word of God? I may have my pet sins that I wish to preach against. How often have I railed against the abortionist while harboring bitterness in my heart against those who have hurt me?

Robert Schuller's words are detrimental to the Christian faith, and he will be held responsible before the tribunal of God one day.

Since I do believe that "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable" (2 Tim. 3:16, NASB, emphasis mine), I must seek to live my life in a way that reflects that belief. I have witnessed a friend of mine who reflected a desire to bring a theological understanding to a particularly trying situation face verbal opposition. The other person told my friend that they have been around the seminary too long, with the implication that by seeking to bring a theological understanding to bear that my friend was being quite impractical.

However, I take the position that everything that we do as believers reflects a theological understanding. For instance, as some have noted, a church cannot remain neutral with regard to the issue of women in the pastorate. By their practice, they will inevitably take a position. Either they will have a man or a woman installed in the office of pastor. In the same way, everything from our methods of evangelism to the ways we worship reflect a theological understanding, whether we recognize and honor theology's place in the Christian faith or not. For that reason, we need to have a sound theological basis so that we may practice and live out the faith rightly.

In that way, may I and my fellow conservative evangelicals (and especially my fellow Southern Baptists) who have such a high regard for Scripture--as opposed to Robert Schuller--seek to live lives in agreeance with the revealed truth of God's Word.

God, forgive me for having such a high respect for Your Word while having a sloppy application and practice of what I find in it! I realize that believing in the inerrancy, infallibility, sufficiency, and authority of Your Word is not enough. Your desire is that we live by the book of Holy Scripture and not depart from it to the right or the left. Please continue conforming me to the image of your Son as You sanctify me by Your truth, for Your Word is truth. Forgive me for failing You, and help me live a life of grace in the glorious light of the gospel. Thank You for the Word, Father!

No comments: