Monday, January 15, 2007

"The Look"

I traveled to Amelia, Ohio today to spend time with relatives, and during the course of my 2-hour journey I found myself listening to my newly purchased Sovereign Grace CD, Songs for the Cross Centered Life. I listened to one particular song time and time again. The song, simply called "The Look," paints a picture of one standing at Calvary, looking upon the Savior. It is a very simple song that speaks of the atoning work of Christ.

How fitting it is for the Christian to think of Calvary, to think of the suffering that secured pardon and the blood that purchased redemption! My prayer is that God will grant me such an allegiance to the crucified Savior that it may be honestly said that the purpose of my ministry is that I may "know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2, ESV).

As I kept listening to this song today with eyes full of tears of gratitude, I was reminded of how undeserving I was, am, and forever will be, of the grace that God has shown in saving a wretch, a worm, like me. I deserve judgment, hell, and God's wrath. He chose to display mercy instead. That is why I can earnestly and truthfully sing the chorus of this song and why my life will continue to sing His praise:
Forever etched upon my mind
Is the look of Him who died
The Lamb I crucified
And now my life will sing the praise
Of pure atoning grace
That looked on me and gladly took my place

No comments: